[Mesa-dev] g3dvl odds & ends

Zack Rusin zackr at vmware.com
Fri Aug 26 14:54:25 PDT 2011

On Friday, August 26, 2011 05:12:52 PM Younes Manton wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Brian Paul <brianp at vmware.com> wrote:
> > Two things that should probably be fixed in the src/gallium/auxiliary/vl/
> > code:
> >
> > 1. The copyright statements refer to Tungsten Graphics.  That's probably
> > a copy & paste error.  s/Tungsten Graphics/the authors/ or thereabouts.
> >
> > 2. #includes of gallium headers should use "" instead of <> just to be
> > consistent with the rest of gallium.
> >

> Any particular reason for 2 being the way things are done? There's no
> point in doing it if the header isn't the same dir as the source file,
> and it's probably even worse for compile time since you're needlessly
> searching the current directory.

You know there's little point in asking a question if you're going to right
away answer it yourself in a condescending manner. It's passive aggressive and
it's irritating.

Attitude aside that's not what the difference between <> and "" is. In fact the
standard says that the difference is implementation dependent. Our most common
compiler says this:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Include-Syntax.html

#include <file>
    This variant is used for system header files.
#include "file"
    This variant is used for header files of your own program.

So the reason it's done is because:
a) according to our favorite compiler "" is used for header files of your own
program, which gallium headers are,
b) most importantly, especially for people using different compilers on
different systems where the differences between <> and "" can be arbitrary:
because it's the style that is used by the rest of the project.