[Mesa-dev] Willing to take Haiku support Patches? (Was: DEATH to old drivers!)

Alexander von Gluck kallisti5 at unixzen.com
Tue Dec 20 07:08:26 PST 2011

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:44:51 -0700, Brian Paul wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Alexander von Gluck
> <kallisti5 at unixzen.com> wrote:
>> Good afternoon!
>>
>> The Haiku OS project (not-for-profit organization, founded in 2001)
>> has
>> found ourselves in a weird spot, we have a working Mesa software
>> render library based on a *heavily* modified Mesa 7.4.4.
>>
>> http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/libs/mesa
>>
>> However as you can imagine, updating that is going to be a *big*
>> pain point.  As Haiku is looking to get some basic 3D rendering
>> going on it's cards, we need to do upgrade to a newer version of
>> Mesa.
>>
>> If we produced well thought out Haiku OS support patches, would
>> Mesa as a project be interested in accepting them upstream? I think
>> a better direction may be to move away from the heavily custom
>> integrated mesa library and move to stock version.
>>
>> These patches would likely start as run-of-the-mill #ifdef __HAIKU__
>> macros.
>
> In general I'm happy to take patches for Haiku.  But I wouldn't want
> to see #ifdef __HAIKU__ lines scattered all over the code.
> Hopefully,
> that can be limited to header files as with other platforms.

My first work is here:
http://pub.haikufire.com/mesa/haiku-mesa-patch1.5.diff

This gets glsl, mapi/glapi, mesa, glu compiling with very few changes
in
Mesa

At this point I don't think using DRI2 is do-able as it is very Linux
oriented, however I think we may be able to get things working
(software at
least for now) by using our own external GLView within
http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/kits/opengl which simply links
some key Mesa libraries.

  -- Alex