[Mesa-dev] robust-tarballs branch (Was: Error building on Windows with SCons)

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Tue Jul 12 15:43:33 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Hi Jose,
>
> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 6:03 AM, Jose Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com>
> wrote:
> > I heard no concerns so I went ahead and made a branch where:
> > - I removed GLUT
> > - derived Mesa tarballs' file list from git ls-files.
> >
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/log/?h=robust-tarballs
> >
> > I've confirmed that both automake and scons+crossmingw32 build
> > correctly on Linux.
> >
> > I'd like to merge to main if there are no objections.
>
> Having a brief look through the commits, it looks like a lot of nice
> cleanup. A couple comments.

Thanks Dan

> 26edecac589819f0d0efe2165ab748dbc4e53394:
> Using the variable DIRECTORY is a little confusing since it's a
> symlink. DIRLINK may be better.

I agree DIRECTORY is not a very descriptive -- it was simply variable name already being used before. DIRLINK doesn't explain much more  so I went for the typical PACKAGE_{VERSION/DIR/NAME}

> 34983337f9d7db984e9f0117808274106d262110:

> - src/mesa/depend is in EXTRA_FILES. This seems like something that
> shouldn't be shipped.

I've added because master's Makefile has it:

MAIN_FILES = \
        [...]
	$(DIRECTORY)/src/mesa/depend					\

I thought there was some obscure need.  I removed it now.

> - You're passing "-x autogen.sh" to not ship autogen.sh, but is that
> the only thing that shouldn't be disted?

I'm also skipping all .dotfiles files.

> Any chance you could compare
> an old tarball to a new tarball and see if any unintended new files
> slipped in?

Yes. I did compare.  There is more doc files, and additional test programs. I personally don't see reason why not to dist, but exceptions can be easily added.

I confess I was more concerned with all the stuff that should be disted and wasn't -- that was my main motive for doing the cleanup.

> - This might be for another commit, but it would be nice to move that
> to a separate variable. To start it could be hacky with the arguments
> embedded:
>
> IGNORE_FILES = \
>         -x autogen.sh \
>         -x otherunwantedfile

Done.

> - $(LIBNAME).zip should depend on manifest.txt

Good catch.

> Looks good otherwise, though.

Jose