[Mesa-dev] [Nouveau] RFC: ctx->Driver.Map/UnmapTextureImage() hooks

Francisco Jerez currojerez at riseup.net
Tue Jul 19 08:12:50 PDT 2011

Pekka Paalanen <pq at iki.fi> writes:

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 08:09:17 -0600
> Brian Paul <brianp at vmware.com> wrote:
>
>> On 07/15/2011 02:59 PM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

>> > Um, don't kill nouveau_vieux, please.
>>
>> Does the old nouveau driver support some GPUs that the gallium
>> nv50/nvc0 drivers don't support?
>
> Yes. Like Corbin said, 'nouveau_vieux' is for NV04-NV2x, while
> the gallium driver 'nouveau' supports NV30 and later.
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MesaDrivers

I run a couple of machines with that driver and have to disagree with
that decision as well.

>> If we want to keep the older driver someone will need to
>> volunteer to update the code to support the new driver hooks.
>
> Sorry, I cannot promise that.
> Nouveau_vieux seems to have been missing a maintainer for
> some time now.

That would be me. I admit that because of personal/work reasons I've had
to keep myself somewhat out of the loop during the last couple of
months, that doesn't mean that I've disappeared or stopped answering my
mail.

Coincidentally nouveau's texture handling has always been structured
around two teximage map/unmap hooks (e.g. compare nouveau_teximage() and
the look of _mesa_store_teximage2d() after the API change), and AFAICT
the changes would be for the most part trivial, but still, if no-one
else wants or knows how to do it (isn't fixing up the drivers the
responsibility of whoever changes the API?), I'll get back to it as soon
as I can.