[Mesa-dev] Status of VDPAU and XvMC state-trackers (was Re: Build error on current xvmc-r600 pipe-video)

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 12:20:33 PDT 2011

2011/4/26 Christian König <deathsimple at vodafone.de>:
> Hi Andy and everybody on the list,
>
> sorry for the late reply, but i've been on vacation the last couple of
> days.
>
> Am Dienstag, den 12.04.2011, 21:38 +0100 schrieb Andy Furniss:
>> In addition to the quit crash I notice that resizing will also crash.
> Should be fixed by now. I implemented most of the missing "base"
> functionality in vdpau state tracker, so video displaying should now
> work fine.
>
>> When testing this HD vid -
>>
>> http://www.w6rz.net/newmobcal1920.ts
>>
>> It played and looked OK for about 5 seconds, but then stopped and I got
>> lots of -
>>
>> radeon_bo_fixed_map failed to map bo
>> EE radeon_bo.c:120 radeon_bo - failed to map bo
> I couldn't reproduce the error, but it sounds like a out of (video)
> memory problem to me. Please try again and see if it still crashes.
>
> Additional to the work on the vdpau state tracker, I've worked on the
> xvmc and general decoding stuff a bit more:
>
> * Added attributes for brightness, contrast, saturation, hue and
> colourspace
> * Got xines xxmc output plugin working with the xvmc implementation
> * Fixed the bug in the mc code that caused most of the artefacts in the
> pendulum video
> * Reorganized and cleaned up the xvmc<->driver interface so it's using
> allot less cpu power.
> * Implemented basic support for a "zscan and quantification" stage
>
> To sum it up: Video output of a 1920x1080 video now uses something
> around ~20% CPU time on my old test system, compared to ~50% with Xv,
> including all the nice features like overlay menu rendering for example
> (ok only working with mplayer right now, not xine).
>
> So is there something still missing for the xvmc state tracker, or can I
> continue with implementing the vdpau state tracker?
>
> Regards,
> Christian.

Is there a reason that this can't be merged to master?

It seems like the longer it remains as a branch, the more mess there
is going to be from merging master into pipe-video over and over
again.

It won't hurt anyone to have it in master, so I think you should just
go ahead and merge it.

I also don't think it's too late to wipe out the "Merge
remote-tracking branch 'mareko/r300g-draw-instanced' into pipe-video"
and subsequent revert from git. No one is basing their work on your
branch.

Matt