[Mesa-dev] Status of the GLSL->TGSI translator

Bryan Cain bryancain3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 14:38:07 PDT 2011

My work on the GLSL IR to TGSI translator I announced on the list this
April is now at the point where I think it is ready to be merged into
Mesa.  It is stable and doesn't regress any piglit tests on softpipe or
nv50.

It adds native integer support as required by GLSL 1.30, although it is
currently disabled for all drivers since GLSL 1.30 support is not
complete yet and most Gallium drivers haven't implemented the TGSI
integer opcodes.  (This would be a good time for Gallium driver
developers to add support for TGSI's integer opcodes, which are
currently only implemented in softpipe.)

Developing this necessitated significant changes elsewhere in Mesa, and
some small changes in Gallium.  This means that some of the commits in
my branch probably need to be reviewed by the developers of those
components.

If I had commit access to Mesa, I would create a branch for this work in
the main Mesa repository.  But since I am still waiting on my
freedesktop.org account to be created, I have pushed the latest version
to the "glsl-to-tgsi" branch of my personal Mesa repository on GitHub:

Git clone URL: git://github.com/Plombo/mesa.git
Web interface for viewing commits:
https://github.com/Plombo/mesa/commits/glsl-to-tgsi

Hopefully my freedesktop.org account will be created soon (I have
already had my account request approved), so that I can push this to a
branch in the central repository.

-Bryan