[Mesa-dev] multiple versions in version string

tom fogal tfogal at sci.utah.edu
Tue Jun 21 09:34:54 PDT 2011

On 06/21/2011 10:23 AM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Die, 2011-06-21 at 10:10 -0600, tom fogal wrote:

>>> Or a software rasterizer libGL / driver which uses direct
>>> rendering. Preferably using llvmpipe for performance.
>>
>> It was hidden in another part of the thread, but I actually don't
>> care (much) about performance, as this is for a regression testing
>> system.
>
> Then you have free choice between llvmpipe or just softpipe (can be
> chosen at runtime), or even classic swrast.

Yep.  I have used swrast with great effect in the past.

Gallium and OSMesa currently don't mix, though Brian has mentioned once
or twice that it wouldn't be /too/ hard to bring up.

>> More importantly, though, the issue with direct rendering is that I
>> need to be able to connect to an X server.
>
> Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean direct rendering requires
> a DRI capable X server, that's not true at least for a standalone
> software rasterizer libGL.

No, I didn't mean DRI.  I mean I need to actually 'xinit' or at least
'X' at some stage or another.

> It should work fine with Xvfb or any other X server, using any kind
> of display connection.

This thread started because Xvfb isn't offering what I need: GL 2.0.  =)
The current software under test considers shaders and VBOs a sine qua non.

Xvfb is actually exactly the kind of thing I want, I just need GL 2 or
appropriate extensions.

If I could get a "direct Xvfb", that sounds like it would do what I need.

-tom