[Mesa-dev] rgtc signed format and u_format: some open questions

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Thu Mar 3 23:36:58 PST 2011

If we implement, we should follow the normal conversion rules.

Imagine that user is doing a screen aligned textured quad blit from a snorm texture to a bgra_unorm8 rendertarget. And imagine inside llvmpipe/softpipe we detect blits and optimize this case by calling util_format_translate. It's far fetched, but it should still work as expected.

There may be other more useful examples, or actual use cases. Point being that (un)pack_rgba_8unorm  that it should do what's specified, not what looks better.

It's perfectly fine if (un)pack_rgba_8unorm is not optimized -- one could just call internally rgtc's (un)pack_float_8norm if that helps.

Thinking more about this, I agree it makes sense to make (un)pack_rgba_8unorm optional for formats that don't fit in there, and always use the (un)pack_rgba_float in those cases. It will be a bit of work to change the places that expect (un)pack_rgba_8unorm to be always there, but it will save code in the long term.

Jose