[Mesa-dev] Naked DXTn support via ARB_texture_compression?

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 08:06:39 PDT 2011

On 19 March 2011 12:24, Petr Sebor <petr at scssoft.com> wrote:
> But just because we are all 'used to' simply check for the existence
> of the GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc doesn't mean we really want to use it
> at all.
> Many of the current applications do not. Limited ARB_texture_compression is
> sufficient enough
> for all our needs.
Sure. All I'm saying is that as far as Wine is concerned, we wouldn't
use that kind of undocumented hack. There would have to be a proper GL
extension offering compressed formats but not runtime compression /
decompression. That doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to
convince other Mesa developers that this is a good idea, just that
usefulness to Wine isn't one of the arguments.