[Mesa-dev] Naked DXTn support via ARB_texture_compression?

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Sat Mar 19 08:33:01 PDT 2011

> In this situation, the DXTn (S3TC) related agorithms were all implemented and used outside of the
> Mesa body and as far as I can see, nothing of the patent applies here.

Petr,

You're assuming that the IHV licensed the S3TC patent for all uses of their hardware. Although NVIDIA appears to have done so (per http://code.google.com/p/nvidia-texture-tools/wiki/FAQ), other vendors may have not: the S3TC patent is often licensed to be used only on particular platforms. driver stacks, or use cases.

Enabling  S3TC decompression on hardware for which IHV does not have a license covering Linux OS and Mesa driver stack may lead to S3 suing somebody -- the developer, the user, the linux distribution, or the hardware vendor -- typically whoever has the deepest  pocket.

So although it _appears_(*) to be safe to enable S3TC decompression on NVIDIA GPUs, there is no reason to think that of AMD, or Intel GPUs.

Jose

(*) I am not a lawyer.