[Mesa-dev] Naked DXTn support via ARB_texture_compression?

Mathias Gottschlag mgottschlag at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 12:23:09 PDT 2011

Argh, meant to reply to list.

If this nvidia library has a s3tc patent license, cannot this be used as
a starting point, as done with the current dxt library? Unmodified, as
an external binary? Wouldn't that circumvent the whole issue as you do
not need a license for the hardware as it already has to be licensed if
it was sold somewhere (well, at least on nvidia hardware, that is how I
understand that FAQ entry, the part about narrow licenses does not seem
to apply here), and you now suddenly have a licensed software encoder as
well?

Mathias