[Mesa-dev] That silly DRIVER_DATE field

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Thu Mar 31 13:30:34 PDT 2011

Once up on a time, we used to get bug reports from people running
random versions of DRI drivers.  We would often find that the user had
an old driver, and their problem had already been fixed in a newer
version.  This was also a time when Mesa releases occurred once every
12 to 18 months.

To fix this problem, drivers added a DRIVER_DATE to the GL_RENDERER
string.  Developers could approximately tell how old a driver was
simply by looking at the glxinfo output.

Fast forward to today...

Mesa releases very frequently.  We have stable releases every 3 or 4 months.

Most drivers, even ones with active development do not update the
DRIVER_DATE.  The Intel drivers in master show 20100330, and the
Radeon drivers show 20090101.

The DRIVER_DATE is useless.  In fact, I'd argue that it provides
disinformation.  I'd like to remove it from all drivers.

However, there is some utility in knowing exactly which bits are on a
system.  We always ask in bug reports for people to include the GIT
commit ID.  Why not put that in the GL_VERSION string for all Mesa
builds?

This patch series does just that.  The first patch removes the
DRIVER_DATE bits from all of the DRI drivers.  The second patch puts
the GIT SHA1 in the GL_VERSION string.  This happens at build time, so
it will need some help in the scons builds.

 Makefile                                           |    8 ++++++++
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/common/utils.c                |    5 ++---
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/common/utils.h                |    2 +-
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i810/i810context.c            |    4 +---
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/intel/intel_context.c         |    6 +-----
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/mach64/mach64_dd.c            |    5 +----
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/mga/mgadd.c                   |    4 ----
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/nouveau/nouveau_driver.c      |    2 +-
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/nouveau/nouveau_driver.h      |    1 -
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/r128/r128_dd.c                |    6 +-----
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/r200/r200_context.c           |    5 +----
 .../drivers/dri/radeon/radeon_common_context.c     |    5 +----
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/radeon/radeon_context.c       |    2 --
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/savage/savagedd.c             |    4 +---
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/sis/sis_dd.c                  |    4 +---
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/tdfx/tdfx_dd.c                |    5 +----
 src/mesa/drivers/dri/unichrome/via_context.c       |    4 +---
 src/mesa/main/version.c                            |    7 ++++++-