[Mesa-dev] mesademos build system: would one be enough?

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Mon Nov 21 03:17:03 PST 2011

Johannes Obermayr's recent patch series remind me of one thing I've been planning to ask here for quite some time:

Would anybody oppose dropping automake build system in mesademos for just cmake ?

On Mesa there is rationale behind the two different build systems (automake and scons), but for mesademos, there's nothing that automake can do that can't be made with cmake; both generate makefiles giving a similar experience to Linux/Unix developers; cmake is already exclusively used in piglit, so there's substantial expertise/familiarity on mesa developers community already; and cmake has the advantage over automake of supporting native Windows/MSVC builds.

So I really don't think there's any need for automake on mesademos anymore.

I know mesademo's cmake build system does not yet build some apps/demos, but this is some thing that I could easily and gladly fix if we agreed on deprecating automake over cmake on mesademos.

Jose