[Mesa-dev] mesademos build system: would one be enough?

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Mon Nov 21 11:36:06 PST 2011

On 11/21/2011 09:40 AM, Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 03:17:03 -0800 (PST), Jose Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:
>> Johannes Obermayr's recent patch series remind me of one thing I've
>> been planning to ask here for quite some time:
>>
>> Would anybody oppose dropping automake build system in mesademos for
>> just cmake ?
>
> cmake is the worst Linux build system I think I've ever encountered,
> including automake and the various custom garbage I've seen in software
> I've packaged.  Its ability to make a modern CPU look slow is stunning.
> That said, I don't care to maintain mesa-demos (it's why I wanted it cut
> out of Mesa core), so I don't really have a say here.

In piglit, the thing that's really irritating about CMake is the fact
that if I simply type 'make', it slowly enumerates every single one of
the tests instead of just updating the one or two targets I've changed.
 With automake, if nothing needs updating, it returns almost immediately
and says "Nothing to be done".  cmake is incredibly slow.

That said, I vastly prefer only having one build system, so if it has to
be CMake, then...that's fine.  Much better than having two.

Presumably the reason for picking CMake over Automake is that it's
easier to use on Windows?