[Mesa-dev] mesademos build system: would one be enough?

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Mon Nov 21 12:33:02 PST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 03:17:03 -0800 (PST), Jose Fonseca
> <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:
> > Johannes Obermayr's recent patch series remind me of one thing I've
> > been planning to ask here for quite some time:
> >
> > Would anybody oppose dropping automake build system in mesademos
> > for
> > just cmake ?
>
> cmake is the worst Linux build system I think I've ever encountered,
> including automake and the various custom garbage I've seen in
> software
> I've packaged.  Its ability to make a modern CPU look slow is
> stunning.

This is a surprise.  You're right that execution time on Linux is slower than the average recursive make build system, which is not fast very fast to start with.  I never pay much attention to it, maybe because I typically only build a single dir or executable when doing frequent recompiles.   But otherwise cmake fares quite alright in my book: out of the box support for pkg-config, cross compiliation, easy to automate. I've been using it successfully in many projects.

Is there any build system you particularly recommend?

Jose