[Mesa-dev] XCB-only GLX protocol?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Nov 28 19:09:42 PST 2011

On 11/28/11 18:56, Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Ian Romanick<idr at freedesktop.org>  wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I'm starting to work on GLX_ARB_create_context.  This extension and the
>> layered GLX_ARB_create_context_profile extension add some GLX protocol.  Is
>> there any reason to keep supporting non-XCB protocol?  Are there any
>> platforms that can't / don't use XCB for X protocol?
>>
>> I'm not planning to gut any non-XCB code yet, but that would happen
>> eventually.  I just don't want to implement all of the protocol twice. That
>> seems like an unnecessary hassle.
>>
>> Opinions?
>
> No problems with me but I think you should get sign-off from various
> platform stakeholders before doing it (BSD, Mac, Cygwin). Jeremy and
> who does cygwin?

 From the Solaris platform point of view, XCB is fine with me, as we have
xcb 1.6 on Solaris 11, and no longer update the Mesa version in Solaris 10
(which has no XCB included - those who want to build new versions themselves
  should be able to build xcb for Solaris 10 as well).

Most applications still use libX11, but since we ship the libX11 1.4.x built
on top of libxcb, the standard xcb/xlib handoff calls should work just fine.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com