[Mesa-dev] Profiling video driver

Martin Stolpe martinstolpe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 13:54:18 PDT 2011

Hello,

I'm using the Gallium R300 driver with the Xorg state tracker on my system.
Everything is running very smoothly when I'm using OpenGL ES 2.0 composited
mode of kwin. Running for example Notepad++ in wine on the other hand is
painfully slow. I've tried to profile a Notepad++ session using oprofile but
it seems that the reason why for example scrolling is so slow is not catched
by oprofile. At least there is nothing which catches my eyes. I would have
expected that "r300_dri.so" or "r300_drv.so" would pop up in the profile log.
Is there a special way to profile graphics drivers?

Best regards
Martin