[Mesa-dev] gallium scaled types

Christoph Bumiller e0425955 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Sep 14 02:45:46 PDT 2011

On 14.09.2011 11:30, Jose Fonseca wrote:
> [...]

I was thinking of even going as far as only having a single:

   void
   (*unpack_rgba)(void *dst, unsigned dst_stride,
                  const uint8_t *src, unsigned src_stride,
                  unsigned width, unsigned height);

Where dst is float for NORM and SCALED formats and the corresponding
integer type for INT formats.

> It is indeed appealing proposition.
>
> But are we sure that the uint32 <-> sint32 conversion never needs to be handled?

I just checked again, and it turns out ReadPixels seems to allow it
after all, so the whole idea seems moot now.

> For example when converting from sint32 to uint32, somebody will need to clamp the negative integers to zero (per http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd607323.aspx#integer_conversion ). So, if the unpack function only does sign extension and no clamping, then the caller will then need to check the signedness of the formats, go over all pixels, and clamp them.  IMO, it would be cleaner and more efficient to have uint32/sint32 entry-points; then all the caller needs to do is choose the approriate entry-point for what's doing.  But if the uint32<->sint32 never appens in practice, then a single entrypoint would indeed do just fine.
>
>> OpenGL functions like ReadPixels don't allow RGBA_INTEGER format
>> together with float types, or blits between SINT-FLOAT, SINT-UINT,
>> etc.
>> anyway ...
>>
>>> So either we add (un)pack_rgba_uint32 and (un)pack_rgba_sint32
>>> entry-points for those integer formats (and it only needs to be
>>> added for the int formats), or a simply add a new xxx_double
>>> entrypoint if we think that they will never be used in a critical
>>> path.
>> Converting everything to doubles would be kind of overkill (and
>> potentially slow), and the 6 uint/sint function pointers would
>> probably
>> remain NULL (or useless) for more than half of the formats.
> Agreed.  I mentioned doubles just in the case they are not used in a critical path, i.e., slow is ok, as there is not much merit in optimizing corner cases.  On the other hand, doubles is not a panacea either: they wouldn't handle 64bit integers.
>
>>> It's similar to what's currently done for (un)pack_z_32unorm and
>>> (u)pack_s_8uscaled -- 32unorm can loose precision when converted
>>> to float (no biggie for colors but inadimissible for depth values)
>>> and 8uscaled is much smaller/faster to use than float, so u_format
>>> has these special entry-points, but they are defined only on
>>> depthstencil formats.
>>>

>>> I think that software renderers texture sampling code too, will
>>> need to be rewritten substantially, to allow the sampling of
>>> integers using integer intermediates.   Draw module interpolation
>>> code too, will need to use double intermediates to interpolate
>>> integer attributes when clipping, etc.   All this
>> Integer attributes are not interpolated. They must be declared as
>> flat.
> Great. Draw module should just work then.
>
> What about texture sampling, are modes other than NEAREST allowed? That would simplify things a lot too.

No they're not - only NEAREST and NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST are.