[Mesa-dev] Help for a beginner

Christian König deathsimple at vodafone.de
Mon Sep 26 03:11:48 PDT 2011

Hi Romain,

Am Sonntag, den 25.09.2011, 11:11 +0200 schrieb Romain Failliot:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm an experienced programmer, but I've never touched the mesa code.
> I desperately want to help, but for that, I need a "mentor" to teach
> me the basics about the project, the good practices and eventually
> drive me through the bugs and features.
>
> I'd be glad to begin with a simple, but long and unwanted bug/feature.
> Once plugged to this bug, I won't bother you until I finish, I'll
> learn by my own at this point.
>
> Hope someone is interested ;)

That strongly depends on what you are planing todo, Tom already noted
most of the questions you should answer to yourself and the mailing
list:

1. On what part of mesa (GLSL, interface, driver, video decoding etc..)
do you like to work on?

2. How much time to you want to spare? Are you a student/professional or
do you just want to spend some time on a hobby?

3. What hardware to you have available?

4. Depending on question 1: How many experience do you have with
different parts of programming (OpenGL, D3D, low level hardware hacking,
etc...) ?

5. How many help do you need to get going? That could reach from
questions like: "How to install a compiler in my distro?" to "Where can
I find documentation of hardware register xy?

Every help is very welcome, so just explain what you need a bit more and
I think we can figure that out to get you going. Fixing a specific bug
that for you is easy to reproduce is a good start for example.

Christian.