[Mesa-dev] new i965g pipe driver for Intel GEN6 (and later)

Chia-I Wu olvaffe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 21:37:53 PST 2012

Hi Marek,

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Marek Olšák <maraeo at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want a piece of advice... it would be great to extend gallium
> to allow the GLSL IR to be passed to drivers directly. Once that's
> done, I think you can copy their shader codegen as-is with all
> optimizations or even share it. Also, I don't think Intel will move to
> Gallium if they can't use the GLSL IR.
The toy compiler in the driver will remain a toy.  It may be still
years away, but I always want to work on an LLVM backend for GEN, and
move everything to LLVM IR.  Now that Intel is also considering an
LLVM-based compiler, it may happen sooner.
> I think Intel are afraid that Gallium adds additional CPU overhead. As
> long as the constant state objects and resource views contain GPU
> command buffers ready to be emitted, there is no state translation and
> validation on the driver side.
I have not done any profiling or optimization so far.  But this is
definitely one of the things that needs to be fixed.

olv at LunarG.com