[Mesa-dev] Mesa llvmpipe for WebGL software rendering

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Tue Feb 28 13:39:51 PST 2012

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:08:39 -0800 (PST), Benoit Jacob <bjacob at mozilla.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> At Mozilla we've been wondering if we could get a good software fallback for users who can't get hardware-accelerated WebGL. Mesa llvmpipe seems like the best open source OpenGL renderer, right? At least, it performed superbly in our quick tests.
>
> Questions:
>
>  1. Is it possible for the application to choose between Mesa renderers? Ideally I would like to be able to evaluate the driver blacklist, and depending on that, use either the default renderer or Mesa llvmpipe. Is that possible?
>
>  2. Related question: are you planning to update OSMesa, base it on
>  llvmpipe? Last I checked, OSMesa was based on swrast from an old Mesa
>  version. An updated OSMesa would offer a great solution to question
>  1.

I'd rather see us create a software-only EGL platform.  It seems like it
ought to be easier to maintain than the special OSMesa system that
developers other than Brian Paul break, and provides a better-known API
for interacting with the window system.  That also solves 1) by giving
you an option at context setup, I think.