[Mesa-dev] Clarifications w.r.t MSAA

Christoph Bumiller e0425955 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jun 12 10:34:04 PDT 2012

On 06/12/2012 06:52 PM, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Christoph Bumiller
> <e0425955 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

>>> Ok.  So that means that if the shader writes z, you have to do full
>>> supersampling then.
>>>

>> No, I don't think that's the case. You get per-sample depth values if
>> you use fixed-pipe depth, but shader-computed depth should simply be
>> replicated (to all samples covered by the shader invocation), like color
>> outputs.
>
> I don't think thats how it wors, each sample will have its color and
> depth value no matter if fixed pipeline or not. When resolving the

Sorry, "fixed-pipe" was misleading, I meant the z-value from the
rasterizer (which can be regarded as fixed functionality), not "without
(custom) shaders".

If the shader is only invoked once for each fragment (i.e.
MinSampleShading == 1), all the samples that belong to that fragment
will share the same color and depth values.