[Mesa-dev] Mesa as part of OpenGL-on-OpenGL ES 2.0 (/WebGL)?

Alon Zakai alonzakai at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 09:51:42 PST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
> On Die, 2012-03-06 at 10:46 -0800, Alon Zakai wrote:

>> > It does. VMware uses Gallium3D for the guest drivers to achieve OpenGL
>> > hardware acceleration in virtual machines, and it performs well under
>> > presumably worse circumstances (there's a virtual machine barrier
>> > between the Gallium3D driver in the guest and the graphics stack in the
>> > host).
>> >

>> Thanks for the information!
>>
>> If that approach is fast enough for VMWare to run games with,
>> then it sounds pretty good. I assume btw that that work is not
>> open source?
>
> Yes, it is. See src/gallium/drivers/svga/, src/gallium/winsys/svga/ and
> src/gallium/targets/dri-vmwgfx/.
>
>> Would be nice if it were, it sounds like the closest thing to what we
>> are doing here...
>
> I'm afraid it may not be as close as you hope though, as the VMware
> virtual GPU is probably quite different from the WebGL environment.

Ok, thanks. I was hoping it would be similar since it takes
OpenGL and then eventually converts it to OpenGL back
again in the host environment (I am assuming). But I
guess the intermediate step might be very different...

Definitely worth us taking a look at the code there though,
thanks for the pointers.

Best,
  Alon Zakai