[Mesa-dev] Upcoming Mesa releases

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Fri May 4 08:32:11 PDT 2012

On 05/03/2012 05:03 PM, Brian Paul wrote:
> On 05/03/2012 03:38 PM, Ian Romanick wrote:
>> To keep in the habit of doing regular releases, I'd like to propose
>> the following set of release dates. We had previously discussed doing
>> stable releases monthly and feature releases every six months. This
>> set of dates basically reflects that.
>>
>> I should be able to package up most of these, but I will be on
>> vacation in June. Perhaps Jakob can handle that one. :)
>>
>> I've listed the February 2013 release as 8.2. I think there's a good
>> chance we'll have OpenGL 3.1 by then, so it may end up being 9.0.
>>
>> 5/18: Mesa 8.0.3
>> 6/15: Mesa 8.0.4
>> 7/20: Mesa 8.0.5
>> 8/17: Mesa 8.1 / Mesa 8.0.6
>> 9/21: Mesa 8.1.1
>> 10/19: Mesa 8.1.2
>> 11/16: Mesa 8.1.3
>> 12/14: Mesa 8.1.4
>> 1/18: Mesa 8.1.5
>> 2/15: Mesa 8.2 (9.0?) / Mesa 8.1.6
>>
>> Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
>
> I don't recall discussion of monthly releases (I searched my email too)
> but I don't really have any objections.

I don't think it was anything firm or committal.  I just recall a bunch
of conversations like

"We should do stable releases more often."

"Yeah, doing that at regular intervals would be good."

"How often?"

"I don't know.  Every month or two?"

I'm not married to a monthly cadence, but we should pick something and
(try really hard to) stick with it.

> But in the event there are no (or only 1-2) fixes on the 8.0.x branch in
> a month, would you still bother making the release? If it was me, I
> wouldn't bother if there's no significant changes.

Part of the reason there are so few changes is that people get lazy
about cherry picking fixes over. :) Having regularly planned releases
(with reminder messages) should help keep people on track.

That said, if there really are no changes, we can probably skip it.