[Mesa-dev] IROUND() issue

Roland Scheidegger sroland at vmware.com
Fri May 18 18:16:39 PDT 2012

Am 19.05.2012 02:43, schrieb Kurt Roeckx:
> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 02:19:36AM +0200, Roland Scheidegger wrote:

>>> Is the "start requiring SSE2 on x86" a typo for x64?
>>>
>>> I still use x86 hardware that doesn't support sse2.
>> Would your hardware also not support sse?
>
> The one I'm using now does support sse but no sse2.
>
> What do you think about using cpuid for this?

Runtime cpu detection isn't really suitable for simple helpers like
IROUND which are used in a lot of places and supposed to map to very few
if not a single instruction, you'd have to use that somewhere in the
calling functions adding a lot of complexity. Noone's going to do that
probably.
Though at least linux distributions still compile without -msse as they
generally right now seem to require i686 (with cmov) but not sse. So
removing legacy x87 assembly might be premature.

Roland