[Mesa-dev] [GLU Tesselator] abort current tesselation

Lukas Rössler pontomedon at gmail.com
Tue May 22 07:44:17 PDT 2012

On 22.05.12 15:40, Brian Paul wrote:
> On 05/22/2012 01:26 AM, Lukas Rössler wrote:
>> Hi everybody!
>>
>> I'm currently working with the GLU tesselator and I need the ability
>> to abort a tesselation process at any state, as fast as possible (so
>> calling gluTessEndPolygon is not an option). Additionally i would like
>> to be able to re-use the GLUtesselator object afterwards.
>>
>> Is the following addition to the API sufficient to do that, or am I
>> missing something?
>>
>> /* glu.h */
>> GLAPI void GLAPIENTRY gluTessAbort (GLUtesselator* tess);
>>
>> /* tess.c */
>> void GLAPIENTRY
>> gluTessAbort( GLUtesselator* tess )
>> {
>> MakeDormant( tess );
>> }
>
> Few of us have ever dug into the internals of the tessellator so you
> probably know as much about it as anyone here.
>
> If you're going to add a new entrypoint to GLU for your project I
> think you have two options:
>
> 1. If you want the change to go into the Mesa/GLU tree and distro,
> spec-out a new GLU_MESA_tessellation_abort extension.
>
> 2. Pull a copy of the GLU tessellator into your project and hack away
> as needed.
>
> -Brian
Thanks for the info, I'll stick with 2) for now, lets see how it works.
If I find someone familiar with the tesselator (or work long enough with
it to fully understand it) I might register an extension. (I've never
done that, but it sounds like an exciting thing to do, especially for a
student :))

--Lukas