[Mesa-dev] Pure OpenGL|ES 1.1 s/w renderer

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 15:22:06 PDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:12 PM, Jose Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:
> Gallium interface seems a good place to cleanly separate state tracking from rendering. Everything is already done for you -- you just need to insert RPC between Mesa state tracker and softpipe pipe driver. I belive that there was even some attempt at doing something similar for virtualization purposes (vgallium I believe, the only URL I could find for it was http://spice-space.org/page/PortingVgalliumToSpice )

https://github.com/smowton/vgallium

was the last code drop. I'm playing around with a similar idea
currently, the main problem of course is that you have to pick a
version of the gallium interface and start versioning from there. So
that newer gallium interface features can be added but older ones
remain supported. So its one of those things that starts off nice the
first time, but quickly gets worse as the gallium interface diverges
from the RPC interface you make.

I'm hacking around with something similar in my spare time at the
moment, but if someone read the code they'd probably want to not have
eaten for a while.

Dave.