[Mesa-dev] R600 tiling halves the frame rate

Tzvetan Mikov tmikov at jupiter.com
Mon Oct 29 18:24:42 PDT 2012

On 10/28/2012 12:56 PM, Tzvetan Mikov wrote:
> On 10/28/2012 04:26 AM, Marek Olšák wrote:
> No, there is no X11 at all. I am running my tests on a very bare system
> with EGL only, hoping to minimize the test surface and isolate any
> interferences.
>
> I will try it though (it will also enable me to compare against the
> proprietary drivers as a baseline, I guess).

This is not directly related to tiling, but I installed the proprietary
drivers on the same hardware, and I am getting about 3X the performance.
(From 70 FPS to 225 FPS in 1920x1200 on a HD6460).

Is it known what the main reason is for such a dramatic performance
difference between the Mesa R600 driver and proprietary driver? This is
a very simple test app rendering two textured rectangles on screen, so I
am guessing the difference must be due to something fundamental.

regards,
Tzvetan