[Mesa-dev] r600g: status of my work on the shader optimization

Christian König deathsimple at vodafone.de
Thu Feb 14 03:28:49 PST 2013

Am 14.02.2013 12:05, schrieb Henri Verbeet:
> On 14 February 2013 11:42, Christian König <deathsimple at vodafone.de> wrote:
>> nice work, I think you've made quite a progress here, but on the other hand
>> it should be clear that the LLVM backend is the future and we should
>> concentrate on that.
>>
> I'm not sure that's really true. My impression is that LLVM has a
> number of problems that make it annoying to work with, and in the end
> it could very well turn out that the better approach would have been
> to just improve the existing code. Of course I'm not really a fan of
> using C++ (and operator overloading in particular) here either, but I
> think it would be interesting to see how far this branch can go, and
> how it compares to the LLVM backend in the end.

Well apart from a bit strange coding style and the use of SVN, I can't
really see any problems that are related to using LLVM as it is.

Compiling shaders takes a bit more time and things like indirect
adressing isn't well supported yet, but that's not really a problem with
LLVM itself, but rather a problem of how we use it today.

Christian.