[Mesa-dev] r600g: status of my work on the shader optimization

Vadim Girlin vadimgirlin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 04:51:18 PST 2013

On 02/18/2013 02:20 PM, Andy Furniss wrote:
> Stefan Seifert wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Amazing work! I see some 50 % speed ups in FlightGear and even more.
>> While
>> normally 3D clouds tear performance down to an unflyable stutter, with
>> your
>> branch I can fly in densly clouded conditions at usable framerates. I
>> can now
>> turn all shaders to maximum and enjoy the view. This makes a huge
>> difference.
>>
>> Unfortunately there's a downside as well:
>

> Testing with rv790 with drm-fixes kernel not much works -

It's an expected result for now. I have the evergreen card only, so the
branch wasn't tested with the non-evergreen chips at all. It will
require some fixes to handle the hardware differences between chip
generations. I'll try to make sure that all differences are taken into
account.

> etqw runs but in a level 50% of screen is junk.
>
> nexuiz menus total junk, didn't test further.
>
> xonotic menus OK but gpu lock on starting timedemo.
>
> vdpau mpeg2 decode - renders 90% junk.
>
> heaven 3.0 (on a different pure 64 bit setup) gpu lock.
>
> Unrelated question wtr heaven 3.0 - does it work properly anyway?
>
> For me running 64bit on rv790 with vanilla mesa with or without llvm I
> have to set shaders to medium, on high it works but I get no
> lighting/effects. There are also a couple of scenes that render as
> flared out black and white.

Unigine engine has known compatibility problems with mesa, so it
requires some workarounds. I use the following environment variables:

MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE=-GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding
force_glsl_extensions_warn=true

With these settings the rendering seems correct on evergreen with all
Unigine demos. I don't know if it works with the non-evergreen chips though.

Vadim