[Mesa-dev] r600g: status of my work on the shader optimization

Sebastien Caty scaty at dcinformatique.com
Thu Feb 28 05:52:14 PST 2013

On February 28, 2013 12:19:30 PM Vadim Girlin wrote:
> > Do you still need some piglit test on rv790 hardware? I've also tried
> > running Serious Sam 3 with the standard, llvm and your optimized backend
> > and SS3 finally manages to not be a slideshow above the lowest settings.
> > Great improvement but unfortunately there is some graphic corruption. Let
> > me know what you need, I'm willing to test!
>
> Make sure that you have recent patches, some problems with R7xx chips
> were fixed yesterday.

Indeed, updated to commit 3931289ab5fc7c7e2ab46e6316e55adc19ec3cfc and things
looks better, but also now much more funnier.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=129994352
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=129994334

> Then please check if there are any regressions
> with piglit tests (as compared to the piglit results with R600_SB=0). If
> there are regressions, send me the shader dumps printed when you run the
> regressed tests with "R600_SB_DUMP=3 R600_DUMP_SHADERS=2". If you could
> also figure out the failing shader in each case (as described in [1]),
> this will help to spot the problem. Also you might want to check if
> there are any problems with some other more simple and/or open-source
> applications, so that it will be easier for me to reproduce the issue
> (if it's not r7xx-specific). One more way to help me with debugging your
> issue with SS3 is to use apitrace to create the minimal trace that
> reproduces it (again, if only it's not r7xx-specific, so that it may be
> reproduced with my evergreen card, otherwise you could try to apply the
> method [1] to locate the guilty shader and send me the shader dump).
> Anyway, it's better to start with piglit - it's usually a lot easier to
> debug any issues with a small and simple apps such as the piglit tests.

Ok I'll start with piglit first, SS3 intro gave me 353 shaders.