[Mesa-dev] rules for merging patches to libdrm

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 00:18:49 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 01:38:55PM -0500, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 05:41:50PM +0100, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:21:36AM -0500, Rob Clark wrote:

> > > maybe an update-kernel-headers.sh script to grab the headers from
> > > drm-next and update libdrm wouldn't be a bad idea?
> >
> > Perhaps. But I think it could even be a manual step. It's not something
> > that one person should be doing alone, but rather something that driver
> > maintainers should be doing, since they know best what will be needed
> > in a new version of libdrm.
> >
> > Like I mentioned in another subthread, I think a subtree-oriented model
> > could work well.
> >
> > Thierry
>
> Please stop asking for more process bureaucracy. libdrm development model
> works fine. Everyone is free to commit and release when needed. The recent
> hickup is just that a hickup and does not warrant any changes.

It didn't sound like everything was fine. From the above, the same has
happened before. Also more process doesn't necessarily mean more
bureaucracy. It helps with coordinating work and avoid stepping on each
other's toes. That's not something I consider bad or unnecessary
overhead.

That said, I don't have a particular problem with how libdrm is
developed. I wasn't asking for anything. It seemed like people weren't
happy with the way things are working right now and a discussion about
possible ways to remedy the situation ensued. I don't consider any of
those proposals to make things more difficult in any significant way,
just perhaps more structured and organized.

Now if everybody is indeed fine with the way things work then there's no
point in this discussion and I'll just shut up.

Thierry