[Mesa-dev] OpenGL 4 drivers

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Tue Oct 29 21:13:11 CET 2013

Josh Klint <joshklint at leadwerks.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> As I understand it, Mesa is in charge of providing OpenGL drivers for
> Intel graphics hardware running on Linux.  I'm in the process of
> porting our game engine over to Linux, and have been pleasantly
> surprised so far that the OpenGL 4 drivers for Nvidia and ATI on Linux
> work perfectly:
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1937035674/leadwerks-build-linux-games-on-linux
>
> I am contacting you because I have a pretty advanced Linux renderer
> running in OpenGL 4, and it might make a good test case for testing
> drivers.  Here's our renderer running on an Intel HD 4000 on Windows:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFfgImmWqXE
>
> I just wanted to make contact and see how we can help test OpenGL 4
> drivers for Intel graphics on Linux.

Right now we're at GL 3.3 core profile and GL 3.0 for compatibility
profile, so no testing GL4 drivers for you quite yet :) We've also got
several of the easier extensions for GL 4.n, so what you have may work
as long as you're ready to run on a core profile driver.

Some things that help us test:

Even if you don't have demo code ready to distribute, we use apitrace to
look at rendering bugs (and occasionally performance) in apps.  If you
find any problems, capturing those, putting them up on a webserver
somewhere (since they're often big) and filing bugs at
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/ is a great way to work with us.  Note that
these traces expose the set of GL calls you make and the data in their
arguments.

Also if you have bugs in open source drivers, creating piglit tests for
them is a great way to make sure they get fixed and stay fixed.
http://piglit.freedesktop.org/

If you have some big nasty shaders you're throwing at the driver, and
you're willing to distribute them under some reasonable license, I've
got this repo of shaders that several of us use for looking at shader
compiler optimizations: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~anholt/shader-db --
putting your stuff in there means that it gets considered when we're
looking at tradeoffs in the compiler.