[Mesa-dev] Mesa 10.2 release plan strawman

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Sat Apr 5 10:04:18 PDT 2014

On 04/04/2014 05:52 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 5:18 PM, Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>> Fast forwarding 3 months from the 10.1 release (March 4th, planned for
>> February 28th) is May 30th.  I'd like to propose the following set of dates:
>>
>> May 2nd: Feature freeze / 10.2 branch created.
>>
>> May 16th: RC1
>
> Same comment as last time. It's not clear to me that we need a week

In Ian's schedule, it's not a week - it's two weeks.  That seems even
more unnecessary to me.

> between the branch and RC1. We're not going to get users testing the
> branch until there's an RC that distros can offer.

Agreed.  I'd suggest:

May 9th : Feature freeze / 10.2 branch created / RC1
May 16th: RC2
May 23rd: RC3
May 30th: 10.2 final release

or just do the freeze/branch/RC1 all on May 16th.

I think that shipping an RC causes a lot more people to test the code,
on a much wider variety of workloads than we might hit ourselves.  (The
people that already build from git regularly are probably just going to
stick with master.)  Starting this wider-audience testing earlier can
only help.