[Mesa-dev] Piglit - GL/GLSL tests - GSoC 2014

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Wed Feb 26 21:41:11 PST 2014

On 02/25/2014 09:47 AM, Chirag Agrawal wrote:
> Hey!
>
> I am Chirag. I am currently part of a dual degree program (5yr) at Birla
> Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani - Goa Campus, India. I am in
> my 4th year as a candidate for a master’s degree in Mathematics and a
> bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.
>
> My programming expertise includes proficiency in C and Python and some
> experience with C++ and JAVA. My recent programming experience includes
> my internship at DreamWorks, Bangalore, where I worked with NUKE’s API
> in C++. I have also worked on multiple projects that made an extensive
> use of OpenGL, as part of my course in Computer Graphics.
>
> I was wondering if someone could help me understand a little more about
> the project - *GL/GLSL tests for GL 4.0 and newer*
> What kind of tests are we looking for? Is there some code that I could
> look at?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Chirag Agrawal

Hi Chirag,

As you're probably aware, the open source 3D graphics drivers are a bit
behind on OpenGL functionality - we just reached OpenGL 3.3 support,
while the latest is OpenGL 4.4.

One of the challenges we face when trying to implement new features is
that there isn't a good test suite.  In order to know that our new
driver code works, we first have to write a lot of Piglit tests, which
slows down the process considerably.

As Anuj mentioned, this usually means looking at OpenGL extension
specifications, or new GLSL language versions, and writing tests for the
new functionality.  It's not extremely glamorous work, but it is very
useful.

Piglit tests are usually written in C, and are just simple OpenGL
programs.  Piglit provides a bunch of helpful functionality to make test
writing easier (which is in tests/util).

--Ken