[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Build testing, wine style

Tom Stellard tom at stellard.net
Mon Jan 13 10:47:42 PST 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 03:53:58PM +0000, Emil Velikov wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> While going though mesa's build systems I was wondering what it would
> take to improve the overall experience of build testing.
>
> The only thing I can think of is a more centralised solution similar to
> the one used by wine [1]. Having buildbots test every patch what is send
> to the ML [2] :)
>
> I'm sure that some companies/organisations may have similar
> infrastructure but I was thinking what is the possibility of having a
> more open/shared experience, thus one does not need to test the same
> environment/setup across multiple bots.
>
> Here are a couple of nice words for each build system that mesa has:
>
> * automake - tons of many build variations, most of which handled by
> debian/ubuntu, fedora and suse build systems.
>
> * scons - less build variations, mainly used for non-public
> state-trackers and/or drivers
>
> * android - possibly the most painful one out there (IMHO), 10GiB code
> cloned a ton of libraries build and alot more that fair rather randomly :\
>
> Kind of wondering what it would take to have such a feature and if
> people will see benefits from it.

Hi Emil,

I've been playing around with buildbot, and I even had a local one doing
Mesa builds a few weeks ago.  I just need to find a dedicated machine so
I can have it running full-time.

For me, I'm mostly interested in using buildbot for piglit testing,
but I think it would also be useful to catch build breakages for the
various configurations people care about.

I still don't understand the whole master/slave relationship of buildbot,
so I'm not sure what kind of centralized resources would be needed, but
maybe if someone would volunteer to maintain it we could use some of the fdo
resources for hosting buildbot.

You also may want to take a look at tinderbox.x.org, which already does
some build testing.  I prefer buildbot mainly because I was unable to find
very much documentation for tinderbox, but it might be worth looking at.

-Tom