[Mesa-dev] EXTERNAL: Re: OpenCL Clang/Clover Offline Compilation issue

Dorrington, Albert albert.dorrington at lmco.com
Wed Jan 15 06:41:08 PST 2014

Hi Francisco,

I implemented the patch on my system and rebuilt my two programs.

Reran my "online compile with save" program to generate a new 'compiled kernel' and then reran the "load compiled kernel" program; and it worked without errors, executing the kernel properly.
So, it looks like the Mesa implementation of clCreateProgramWithBinary() now functions, for the LLVM IR generated code, which is great!

I have re-read the Khronos OpenCL spec for clGetProgramInfo() and clCreateProgramWithBinary() to clarify my understanding.
It looks like clGetProgramInfo() can return either IR, a device specific binary, or both; while clCreateProgramWithBinary() can accept IR and/or a device specific binary.

For our purposes, we were expecting the device specific binary, not the IR, so that we would not need to compile, or run LLVM on our target environment.

Looks like I need to spend some more time understanding the code and architecture :)

-Al