[Mesa-dev] GalliumCompute / OpenCL on Radeon HD7790

ian_bruce at fastmail.net ian_bruce at fastmail.net
Mon Jan 20 11:14:18 PST 2014

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 08:00:39 -0800
Tom Stellard <tom at stellard.net> wrote:

>> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumCompute/

>> Could anybody clarify whether the information on the wiki page should
>> apply to a Radeon HD7790 card? Could the wiki be updated to be more
>> specific about which GPUs it is relevant to?
>
> Sea Islands GPUs are supported. I've added this to the wiki page.

Thanks.

Let me then ask another question: since the new Radeon R9-280X, R9-270X,
and R7-260X cards are supposed to be based on "Southern/Sea Islands"
GPUs, would it be safe to assume that they would also be supported?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7400/the-radeon-r9-280x-review-feat-asus-xfx

The "engineering vs marketing names" link on the wiki page should be
updated:

http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#index5h2

And perhaps that table should itself be updated to include the new
Rx-2yy GPUs, especially if those <= 280 can be considered equivalent to
the HD7000 series.

>> Also, could the build instructions comment on whether packages from
>> the Linux distribution (Debian?) might do as well? Or would those not
>> have been built with options like
>> "--enable-experimental-targets=R600", "--with-gallium-drivers=r600",
>> and "--enable-opencl"?
>
> If you are using Gentoo, then it is possible to enable opencl support
> when installing the -9999 package of mesa. I'm not sure if any other
> distros provide packages with OpenCL enabled.

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:49:40 +0900
Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:

> The Debian Mesa packages aren't built with --enable-opencl yet, there
> are Debian bug reports requesting that.

Is Mesa the only issue? Is it likely that distribution packages for
LLVM, Clang, and libclc would be sufficient, or would they require
custom builds as well?

Again, please CC me on any replies.

-- Ian Bruce