[Mesa-dev] XA tracker pipe-loader woes.

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Wed Jul 2 03:34:09 PDT 2014

Hi, Rob

It turns out that your patch  st/xa: use pipe-loader to get screen,
makes the xa tracker close the X server driver's drm file descriptor when
XA initialization fails or when XA is closed.

This breaks X for example on Ubuntu 14.10 if 3D is disabled (typically
on ESX). Pretty nasty bug for us.

I'm not sure about the correct fix. Personally I don't think the pipe
loader should close the file descriptor on cleanup.
If people insist on it doing so, we can either intentionally leak pipe
loader state or we can perhaps dup() the file descriptor before opening
the loader. I'm not completely sure how DRM responds to that, though.

/Thomas