[Mesa-dev] State of llvmpipe geometry shaders?

Florian Link florianlink at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 00:47:09 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I read a post from 2012 that MESA supports geometry shaders. I tried a
current MESA 10.2.x release, but MESA GL_VERSION returns OpenGL version 3.0
(not 3.2) and the
GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 extension is not reported in the MESA extensions.
The function lookup for the functions of GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 works,
though.
When I run a shader program with a geometry shader, the MESA linker
complains that the varying that is used in the fragment shader is not
emitted from the vertex shader, which indicates that the geometry shader is
not detected/used.

Should geometry shaders work in the current MESA llvm pipe release, or do I
need to enable/compile in some code?

regards,
Florian

P.S. My geometry shader works on non-MESA native ATI/NVidia/Intel OpenGL
drivers, so I don't think it is a problem of my shader code, especially the
ATI drivers are quite strict.