[Mesa-dev] Broadcom VC4 project

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:42:47 PDT 2014

It would be more precise to say that i915 uses the Draw module, which
can do these per-vertex operations on the CPU (some of them use LLVM):
- vertex fetching
- vertex shader
- geometry shader
- culling and clipping
- viewport transformation
- translates all primitives to either point, line, or triangle lists
(if you can't do quads)
- line stippling by breaking lines into shorter lines
- converts triangles to points or lines if polygon mode is not "fill"
- generates point sprite coordinates
- ... and a bunch of other things I don't remember
A lot of these are optional.

It also optionally supports these per-fragment operations by plugging
itself into the driver, but you have to use the Draw module for vertex
processing:
- polygon stippling
- line smoothing
- point smoothing

A full software fallback by switching between the hw driver and
llvmpipe at run time would be possible if somebody did it. ;) The
failover module was one attempt at it, but it was never finished. I
briefly played with it during r300g development and it did work for
glxgears with some modifications:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=0a22fb6a5d519ca26d423fa4a9404697dca56cbf

Marek