[Mesa-dev] Move mesa version scheme to a more common style ?

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 03:52:22 PST 2014

On 14 November 2014 19:50, Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> This is an old question that I had laying around - why doesn't mesa use
>> a more conventional numbering for the development/rc releases ?
>>
>> Eg.
>> mesa 10.4.0-rc1 -> 10.3.99.901
>> mesa 10.4.0-rc2 -> 10.3.99.902
>> mesa 10.4.0     -> 10.4.0
>
> Something else that occurred to me -- you want to still make a stable
> 10.3 release, so 10.3.x will come out after 10.3.99.901? Seems
> confusing...

Not sure I fully understand what the confusing part it is. Can you elaborate ?

Perhaps the following examples should clear any of your confusion:

10.3 branch:
10.3.0
10.3.0.901 (10.3.1-rc1)
10.3.0.902 (10.3.1-rc2) // if needed
10.3.1
10.3.1.901 (10.3.2-rc1)
10.3.1.902 (10.3.2-rc2) // if needed
... you get the idea.

At the same time

Master branch:
10.3.99 (10.4-dev)
10.4.99 (10.5-dev)

As you can see things are straight forward, plus as Daniel pointed
out, using this approach the version string is actually linear :)

-Emil