[Mesa-dev] Rename mesa/src/util (Was: gallium/util: add u_bit_scan64)

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Fri Feb 6 16:28:09 PST 2015

On 02/06/2015 05:10 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> "util" is meant to be for shared utility across the entire code base -
>>> both Mesa and Gallium.  It's been growing slowly as people move things
>>> there.  It might make sense to move a lot of src/gallium/auxiliary/util
>>> there, in fact - there's always been a lot of duplication between Mesa
>>> and Gallium's utility code.  But that's up to the Gallium developers.
>>>
>> Imho currently the util library is growing on the basis of "we can
>> share X let's throw it in there" rather than putting much thought
>> about the structure/"design" of it - unlike in gallium.
>
> Are you serious? Let's be honest with ourselves. I probably would have
> been a better plan to not put commonly useful code deep in Gallium in
> the first place.

A little history- the original intention was that the gallium code
should stand on its own without dependencies on Mesa.  In the early days
we even considered putting gallium in its own git repo.

That never happened but we kept the principle of gallium not having any
outside dependencies.

Also, if there were no classic / non-gallium drivers today we'd probably
be treating Mesa as one big gallium state tracker, and it would directly
use the gallium utility code.

Anyway, today's reality is something else.  Refactoring things is
desirable, but it's never as straightforward as you'd hope.
Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to work on this, or think about
it much.

-Brian