[Mesa-dev] Summer of Code ideas (maybe just an idea wishlist?)

Connor Abbott cwabbott0 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 16:27:32 PDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here are some ideas I think might be reasonable GSoC ideas.
>>
>>  - GLSL linking in NIR
>>      - Would allow us to stop doing optimizations and other expensive
>> things on GLSL IR
>
> Ian said this should wait until everything is using NIR so that we
> don't have two linkers. :)

Yeah, and it also won't make sense to do it until we can get the NIR
optimizations up to par with the GLSL ones so that we can disable all
the GLSL ones after linking and not get a regression. This would
involve porting all the GLSL optimizations to NIR, which now that I
think about it actually seems like a quite doable GSoC project -- it's
a pretty well-defined task and there are lots of little optimizations
to translate so it's easy to make progress, although porting all of
them over might be too much for one summer.