[Mesa-dev] RFC: Supporting mediump in NIR

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Fri May 15 09:32:52 PDT 2015

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Pohjolainen, Topi
<topi.pohjolainen at intel.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 11:59:25AM -0400, Rob Clark wrote:
>> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 5:39 AM, Topi Pohjolainen
>> <topi.pohjolainen at intel.com> wrote:
>> > I wanted to kick-off discussion on how to support floating point
>> > precision qualifiers in NIR. This is purely on optimization for
>> > GLES where one can reduce the number of GPU cycles. At the moment
>> > the compiler discards the qualifiers early when abstract syntax
>> > tree (AST) is transformed into intermediate presentation (IR).
>> >
>> > Iago added the initial support to IR in order to check that the
>> > stages agree on the precision. Naturally I started by rebasing his
>> > work on master (I dropped the actual checking part as it didn't
>> > automatically fit into master). I realized that it isn't sufficient
>> > to have the precision tracked in ir_variable alone. When the IR
>> > is further translated into NIR the precision is needed in ir_rvalue
>> > as well when NIR decides which opcode to use.
>> > Iago's patch isn't needed for the solution here afterall, I just
>> > included it to for context sake.
>> >
>> > Now, there are number of implementation alternatives, I think, both
>> > in AST/IR as well is in NIR. I thought I play with one approach to
>> > provide something "real" to aid the decision making regarding the
>> > architecture.
>> >
>> > I thought that despite fp16 (medium precision float) isn't really a
>> > proper type in glsl, it would clearer if it were one internally in
>> > the compiler though. I kept thinking fp64 and how I would introduce
>> > that into NIR.
>> > The first step was to do pretty much the same as what Dave Airlie
>> > did for doubles (fp64) in the compiler frontend.
>> >
>> > Then in NIR I decided to introduce new opcodes for half floats
>> > instead of modifying the existing float instructions to carry
>> > additional information about the precision.
>>
>> jfwiw, I can[*] in a lot of cases have precision per operand..  for
>> example, add a f32 + f16 with result into f32.  So having separate
>> opcodes seems kind of funny.
>
> As the opcode in NIR is chosen solely based on the destination type, I
> thought that f32 + f16 would be similar thing as int + bool producing
> int, for example. I thought that implicit conversions would kick in.
> And also the drivers making decisions where a conversion is really
> needed (additional mov) or not. I have to admit though that I haven't
> thought all the way through how and where the conversions are produced.

ahh, gotcha.. yeah, that seems like it could work.. somehow I was
ASSuming opcode meant src and dst types (and always having some
special mov's to convert src types) ;-)

my instruction set tends to not be very orthogonal (some groups of
instructions can convert, some not), so letting the driver backend
make decisions about inserting converting mov's is what I'd like to
see..

BR,
-R