[Mesa-dev] gallium virgl driver - first posting

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 21:40:56 PDT 2015

Hey all,

Things finally seem to be heading upstream in qemu and kernel
land, so I'm going to post this now.

virgl is a project started by me to create a virtio based
GPU using gallium/tgsi as the basis for 3D acceleration.

The 3D acceleration portion is contained a qemu plugin library
virglrenderer.
(http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied/virglrenderer), and
this driver contains the gallium driver to talk to it.

It also contains a sw based driver testing framework that allows
running the virgl gallium driver as a swrast driver over a socket
to talk to the renderer, so you can avoid the VM overhead when
developing/testing new features.

Currently it will expose GL3.3 on a host that can do it.

Once the kernel driver and libdrm header file are upstream I'd
hope to push this.

It can also be found on my virgl-mesa-submit branch.

Dave.