[Mesa-dev] [RFC 1/2] gallium: add renderonly driver

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 05:25:27 PDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 12:09:52AM +0100, Emil Velikov wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> I'm glad to see Thierry's work revived. Hopefully this will soon be
> the basis of many more drivers.
>
> On 11 October 2015 at 16:09, Christian Gmeiner
> <christian.gmeiner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This commit adds a generic renderonly driver library, which fullfille
> > the requirements for tegra and etnaviv. As a result it is possible to
> > run unmodified egl software directly (without any compositor) on
> > supported devices.
> >
> > In every use case we import a dumb buffer from scanout gpu into
> > the renderonly gpu.
> >
> > If the scanout hardware does support the used tiling format from the
> > renderonly gpu, a driver can define a function which is used to 'setup'
> > the needed tiling on that imported buffer. This functions gets called
> > during rendertarget resource creation.
> >
> > If the scanout hardware does not support the used tiling format we need
> > to create an extra rendertarget resource for the renderonly gpu.
> > During XXX we blit the renderonly rendertarget onto the imported dumb
> > buffer.
> >
> I'd assume you meant to add something over the XXX here :-P
>
> But seriously some people might not be too happy with the blit onto
> dumb buffer. Personally I ok, esp. since we don't have anything better
> atm.
>
> That aside, there are a few minor nitpicks below. With those sorted I
> believe the patch is good to land.

I'd prefer if at least the Tegra part wasn't merged just yet. We know
that it only works in a restricted set of use-cases. So until we figure
it out all the way I don't think it makes sense to have this code in
Mesa yet. I suppose the renderonly part could go in, though I do have
some reservations about the architecture. I'll try to comment on that
in a separate email because this subthread lacks some of the necessary
context.

Thierry