[Mesa-dev] i965: Invalid memory accesses after resizing brw_codegen's store table

Iago Toral itoral at igalia.com
Wed Oct 21 03:23:58 PDT 2015

Hi,

The problem is with code like this (see brw_send_indirect_message):

setup = brw_OR(p, addr, desc, brw_imm_ud(0));
send = next_insn(p, BRW_OPCODE_SEND);
return setup;

If next_insn triggers a realloc of the instruction store, then the setup
instruction pointer is no longer valid. Notice that this can happen
anywhere where we keep pointers to previous instructions before creating
new ones (!)

The patch from Samuel fixes this by special-casing this for SEND
instructions only (since we know that the indirect versions can hit
this, maybe there are more situations though). It does so by trying to
make sure that we never realloc the store with a SEND instruction. For
this, we realloc before we reach the end of the current store (32
instructions before the limit) as long as the instruction is not a SEND
(so that if it is a SEND we still have up to 32 opportunities to do the
realloc without a different instruction before running out of space in
the store).

Iago