[Mesa-dev] [RFC] add MAINTAINERS and get_maintainer.pl script

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 23:32:23 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 7:04 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Speaking of maintainers... I have a patch somewhere that adds you as
>> maintainer for $linux/drivers/drm/gpu/msm/.
>> Guess I should send it already ;-)
>>
>> On 19 April 2016 at 22:11, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> From: Rob Clark <robclark at freedesktop.org>
>>>
>>> Copied from linux kernel, with minimal changes to script (just to
>>> recognize mesa src tree rather than linux kernel src tree), and slimmed
>>> down MAINTAINER file syntax to recognize that we don't really have
>>> subsystem "maintainers" in the same sense as the linux kernel (ie. no
>>> different mailing lists and git trees per subsystem).
>>>
>> Crazy idea: Worth mentioning the commit this based upon and tracking
>> all the changes in git ? This way one can leech from the kernel and
>> contribute back as applicable ;-)
>>
>>> The main point is to automate slapping on the correct CC's for patches
>>> via git's --cc-cmd feature, more than anything else.
>>>
>>> I didn't attempt to fully populate the MAINTAINERS file, by a long shot.
>>> The point was to just be able to test it, and get feedback if people
>>> like the idea.
>>>
>> Fwiw the idea sounds great imho. There is a small warning though - the
>> script is under the GPLv2 licence. Would that interfere with
>> BSD/Solaris/companies that ship mesa based binaries ? If it's a matter
>> of not shipping the script [in the tarball] that's great. Although
>> it's worth checking.
>
> There's no point in shipping it in the tarball anyway, since it's for
> use with git send-email.

agreed

> Let's let people add themselves to the file if they want. No point in
> trying to populate it up front.

yeah, I expect people to add themselves, and for the MAINTAINERS file
to evolve over time..  if people like the idea I'll send a non-rfc
version of the patch which whatever entries people ask me to add
themselves for over the next week or so.. mostly just to avoid
starting off with a completely empty file.  But wasn't planning to
wait for it to be completely populated to start with.

BR,
-R