[Mesa-dev] cairo as state tracker

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 13:23:59 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 6:48 AM, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
<enrico.weigelt at gr13.net> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> I'd like to get the cairo's gallium backend running again (hasn't been
> maintained for a long time and doesn't fit at all to recent mesa).
>
> The main problem I've got here is that gallium API is mesa-internal,
> so I'd like to do some steps on making it (semi-)public. I'm aware that
> it's still in flux, so we'll have an strict version dependency for
> quite some time - but I can live with that for now.

I'd recommend moving the cairo rendering code into Mesa and have Mesa
implement and export some kind of a low-level cairo library.

Please note that Gallium doesn't support Intel GPUs, which may be a
significant part of your user base.

A cairo GL backend is probably going to be your best choice if you
want hardware support everywhere.

Marek